Cleveland, Ohio’s Buckeye-Shaker neighborhood is located in the city’s eastern section. It includes the old Buckeye neighborhood to the south and west, and the Shaker Square neighborhood to the northeast, which is home to a historic shopping district and the eponymous rapid transit station at the intersection of Shaker and Moreland Boulevards on the light rail line that links Shaker Heights to downtown Cleveland.
From the beginning to the middle of the 20th century, the area around Buckeye Road was known as Little Hungary. This was the historic center of Cleveland’s Hungarian community, which was once the largest in the world outside of Hungary. Today, the area around Buckeye Road is almost entirely African-American. In terms of retail, food, architecture, resident education, civic engagement, diversity, and quality of life, Shaker Square remains one of Cleveland’s most famous neighborhoods.
Buckeye-Shaker is bounded by Woodland Hills to the west, Mount Pleasant to the south, University Circle to the north, and the suburb of Shaker Heights to the east. Along Buckeye Road and the neighboring streets, you’ll find a wide variety of businesses, bookstores, restaurants, and fast food joints, all with a Hungarian flavor and close proximity to the English-inspired Fairhill Road Village Historic District to the north. In the heart of the bustling Shaker Square shopping district is a prominent art deco cinema theater with a nostalgic, nostalgic vibe.
Shaker Square, the neighborhood’s best example of transit-oriented development, is one of the earliest planned shopping centers in the United States. Rows of apartment complexes border the fast transit rails that connect the Van Swerigen brothers’ 1920s development to the city center and the airport. Located to the west of North and South Moreland Boulevards, the neighborhood is primarily comprised of two-family homes. Most single-family dwellings can be found east of that line. Because of the large number of Hungarians who settled in the Buckeye Road region in the early 20th century, it became known as “Little Hungary” in Cleveland, OH.
Designed by the Van Sweringen brothers between 1927 and 1929, the American Colonial-Georgian shopping mall took inspiration from European town squares. The four corners probably got some extra stuff in the ’50s. A commercial strip was established in the vicinity in 1939 along Van Aken Boulevard, however, it was effectively an extension of the Square. Shaker Square was conceived of as the neighborhood’s gateway between the urban and suburban living spaces represented in the early 20th century by the two brothers who also built much of the property to the east as the planned town of Shaker Heights. There are two grassy patches, one on either side of the railroad tracks.